Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Barra de La Cruz, Oaxaca Mexico

I am now in the surf town Barra de La Cruz, Oaxaca. Life in this small, dirt road town revolves around the great surfing wave located at the rocky point. The design of the town is different to any other beach town I have encountered while in Mexico. The 40-50 small houses are settled a half a mile inland. The beach has 1 dirt road in and a pleasant restaurant/bar in front of the break. The rest of the broad sand beach and nearby lagoon are still pristine and full of natural beauty.

The sand-bottomed righthander is amazing.
 While I have been here the wave has averaged shoulder to head high. The locals say this is small for this time of year.
I find it perfect!

The wave machine, here at work.
Dawn patrol.

The weather here is hot and dry.
The locals here in Barra are some of the most kind, friendly people I have met here in Mexico.

I hiked over the rocky point to the beaches up the coast.
Its a primitive landscape here.

Wild Oaxaca.

In a few days I will leave my board behind and travel inland to palenque...
keep checkin back for the updates.

3 comments:

  1. Do girls surf here too? Did you see any? Guy traveling on my own and don't want to get too far off the beaten track, if you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well...there are 1 or 2 local surf chicas there and a few traveling surf chicks.
    i would recommend puerto escondido for the surf party scene.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hows the chicas there n mexico Pedro? :-)

    ReplyDelete