Friday, April 29, 2011

St. Christobal de las Casas, Chiapas

I am now in the nice town of San Christobal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico.
What a change from the beach in Oaxaca where the weather is HOT day and night.
Here its cool during the day and cold ay night.
I have not worn shoes and socks in a few months in PV.

I have spent 3 days here wandering with my camera.
This is a mellow tourist town with an empahsis on shopping.

The architecture here is classic Mexican style.

Add caption

I stumbled on a tiny Thai restaurant run by a kind Thai couple.
I have wonderful memories of touring Thailand last year with Jelli.
Thailand is the best country for eating amazing food...by far!
To find more coverage of me and Jelli in Thailand look back to November 2010 in my blog.

In the market I found a stall selling these 'zapatistas' rebel dolls.
This is from Wikipedia...

The Zapatista Army of National Liberation (Ejército Zapatista de Liberación Nacional, EZLN) is a revolutionary leftist group based in Chiapas, the southernmost state of Mexico.
Since 1994, the group has been in a declared war "against the Mexican state," though this war has been primarily nonviolent and defensive against military,paramilitary, and corporate incursions into Chiapas. Their social base is mostly rural indigenous people but they have some supporters in urban areas as well as an international web of support. Their main spokesperson is Subcomandante Marcos (currently a.k.a. Delegate Zero in relation to "the Other Campaign"). Unlike other Zapatista spokespeople, Marcos is not an indigenous Mayan.
The group takes its name from Emiliano Zapata, the agrarian reformer and commander of the Liberation Army of the South during the Mexican Revolution, and sees itself as his ideological heir. In reference to inspirational figures, in nearly all EZLN villages exist murals accompanying images of Zapata, Che Guevara, and Subcomandante Marcos.

Here is a photo of the real thing...I found in a restaurant.

During lunch, this little guy approached me about buying a souvenir...

After much speculation I chose this one.
The kid promised this rabiit with a snake would bring 'buenas suerte'...good luck.

I had chile relleno at the restaurant...to be honest..not as good as moms.

Add caption

Keep checkin back in as a explore more of Chiapas.
I am on an early morning bus to Palenque.

2 comments:

  1. It's true; it is very tough to beat Mom's chili relleno. Another great blog update. Looking forward to seeing you soon. xo, Robby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Missing Thai food...and hey, nice shirt from Thailand. Just wore mine the other day.

    ReplyDelete